Google Text Ads: Creating Google Text Ads Campaigns (Product Campaign)
To create a Google Text Ads Campaign, follow the steps below
- Select Campaigns from the side bar and connect your Google account
- Allow access
Product Campaign creates an adgroup for every unique product. Each adgroup will therefore have keywords and text ads that are unique to that very product.
Provide the source file
Assign the relevant tags
Multiple campaigns enable you to set a separate budget and template for each category or brand;
AdWords does not allow more than 10,000 adgroups per campaign. So if you have more than 10,000 unique products in your feed, we will divide them over multiple campaigns. You can also use choose to divide them yourself by using filters.
a) By Truncating
In the DatafeedWatch, Truncating is a process of creating different versions of the keyword by removing the last word with each version. Let’s say you want to advertise a product called adidas Adipure Pants White 36/32 Mens Golf Pants, so truncating it would look like below.
adidas Adipure Pants White 36/32 Mens Golf Pants
adidas Adipure Pants White 36/32 Mens Golf
adidas Adipure Pants White 36/32 Mens
adidas Adipure Pants White 36/32
Mens Golf Pants
adidas Adipure Pants White
36/32 Mens Golf Pants
adidas Adipure Pants
White 36/32 Mens Golf Pants
Such long tail keywords have a higher Conversion Rate & lower Cost Per Conversion since the related search terms are more specific and closer to the point of purchase in the sales funnel. But they might not have enough search traffic on Google and such keywords will become inactive due to low search volume.
Truncating will solve this problem by creating multiple versions of the keywords & each truncated keyword should have more search volume than the previous one. By doing so, we are covering all possible search terms.
The last 4 truncated keywords will not be used in the Product Campaign since they are not exclusive to a single product & can be a part of multiple products, such keywords will be used in a Product Group Campaign.
b) By Tag combination
This method is only useful for retailers that sell electronics, computers and other products for which people search for a specific combination of brand, model, type, number, etc.:
You can use both Tag Combination and Truncating
You can also apply filters to ad template based on different conditions:
Always Enable : Ad Template will be created & enabled for all the products in the campaign.
Always Paused : Ad Template will be created for all the products in the campaign but won’t be enabled.
Enable for specific tag values : You can choose to enable the Ad template only for specific categories like Shoes or brands like adidas.
Enabled for numerical tag values : You can choose to enable the Ad template only for products meeting a specific numerical condition like products with price equal to or less than $40.
Enable if tag filled : Ad template will be enabled only for products having a specific tag filled like Sale Price which is very useful when you want to show a different ad for products on Sale.
Enable if tag not filled : Ad template will be enabled only for products not having a specific tag filled.
Do not Create -> Ad template will not be created & this option can also be used to remove an existing ad template.
More Options to improve your ad copy:
It is advisable to create multiple text ad templates (patterns) so you can a/b test different text ads per ad group. (Please note that this is different from creating a backup template (alternative) for each ad)
Adjust the Campaign settings
- Learn what the real CPCs will be (in a new campaign) without enabling Google to only show the products with the highest bids;
- Prevent overbidding on products with a high CPA (if you set CPC as % of CPA and the price is high and the competition is low).
- A unique bid for every product;
- Limit the CPA to the gross margin. In the screenshot: If the conversion rate = 5% and the gross margin = 20% of the price, you will never spend more than what you can afford (max CPA).
Choose Budget Delivery options
Budget Delivery determines how your ad budget will be spent over time.
- Choosing Standard Delivery will spend your budget evenly throughout the day. Your ads won’t be shown for every eligible search, for example, your ad will show only once an hour if your budget allows 24 clicks per day;
- Choosing Accelerated Delivery will show your ad for every eligible search until your budget is exhausted, your budget might not even last a full day in many cases.